Top 10 Things to Do in the Katahdin Region in the Spring into SummerPosted on June 17, 2019
Top Ten Things to Do in the Katahdin Region
(see the Visitors Guide for details, or the Discover Katahdin Ap)
- Get some history: Check out the Patten Lumberman’s Museum or the Millinocket Historical Society.
- Drive around the Katahdin Woods & Waters Scenic Byway…see the varied small towns that make up our Region, each with its own charm and identity.
- Take a Wildlife Tour for a chance to see a moose, an eagle, a bobcat, a bear, or a variety of birds.
- Take a Sightseeing Tour by plane…fly over Katahdin and the North Maine Woods to see the region from a new angle.
- Get wet! Go rafting down the West Branch of the Penobscot River, over rapids from class I to class 5, or swimming from one of several beaches around the region, paddling on the rivers or lakes, or fish the day away.
- Bike around the region, or on some of the newly created bike trails–and take the time to view what’s around you.
- Come to one of our Celebrations… Fiddles & Fiddleheads, July 4th, Summerfest in East Millinocket or in Island Falls, Patten Pioneer Days, Sherman Old Home Days, River Riot and Wooden Canoes Festival in Medway, or Trails End Festival in Millinocket.
- Hit the trails!!! Go ATVing in the spring, summer or fall.
- Drive around the Katahdin Woods & Waters National Monument–look for wildlife, scenery, hiking trails, paddling routes, and wilderness.
- Drive around Baxter State Park, climb Katahdin (plan ahead), or one of the many other hikes in the Park, such as around South Branch Pond, or the 5 Ponds, up North or South Turner, or to see Big & Little Niagara. Grab an adventurers pack for the kids and go exploring.