Hunting Season Begins Soon…know before you go!Posted on April 26, 2019
Spring turkey hunting season is almost here!
You have scouted your favorite hunting spot, prepared your hunting equipment and gear, and now you’re ready for the hunt. As you head out, the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife asks that you to take a few extra moments to remember these important safety tips and to be prepared in the Maine outdoors.
Keep it safe.
Hunting is one of the safest outdoor activities in Maine! Let’s keep it that way by following these safety tips when heading into the woods:
- Treat every firearm as if it is loaded
- Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction
- Use safe carrying methods
- Always be certain of your target and beyond
- Be aware of your surroundings and others around you
Remember, hunters share the woods with many others! Utility workers, road crews, woods operators and fellow outdoor enthusiasts are also out and about. Always be cautious and courteous. Be a good land user.
Be a good land user.
Maine is fortunate to have landowners who offer access to their private property to hunt.
This access is an incredible gift, and in order to preserve it, everyone who ventures outdoors needs to understand the contribution that landowners make.
Read more about exploring private land in Maine.
Know before you go.
- Buy your license and permit
- Review and download Maine’s hunting laws
- Hunting seasons and bag limits
- Legal hunting hours
- Information for junior hunters
- How to report violations
- List of registration (tagging) stations